The Unsaid Words

Heard melodies are sweet, those unheard are sweeter; - Keats

Name:
Location: Hyderabad, India

Love movies, Love Books and Love eating Out!! And yes my family. And what more can I say..

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

A Tale of Many Cities - Part II

The dice has been cast; the first Blog of the series has been written.

Writing is perhaps the most cathartic activities. When we write about a place, we travel back in time; bring to life the long forgotten sights and sounds; re-live the joys; explore the place again. Writing the previous blog turned out to be the best thing I have done for myself in a long time. It gave me refreshed perspective on a lot of things.

"A journey is like marriage. The certain way to be wrong is to think you control it." John Steinbeck

"Hey Guy this quote gives me the license to meander on becoz writing is a journey!!"

Writing about Hyderabad made me think about why I love the city like I do. The answer was not in the infrastructure of the city, the eating joints or the job opportunities it provides. (It all helps). The answer was more basic. To me Hyderabad was freedom; it was self - discovery for it was Hyderabad where I was on my own for the first time in my life. It was exhilarating. I was all enthusiasm and eagerness. Ready to take on the world. I remember waking up early and then remembering well there was no one waiting for you to wake up and then going back to a blissful sleep. Doing all the crazy harmless things that Mom and Dad would not let you do; something stupid like eating the "Thanda" and "Garam" together. Making decisions and feeling important. Going for long rides in the rains. Crossing important milestones like watching a movie in the Midnight or the 9 -12 PM show and that also in an all girls gang. Aptly, the first movie I watched in this show was "Hyderabad Blues". I know it might seem like a trivial thing particularly to the guys but it is not something my parents will let me do. India unfortunately is still such a place where girls can not take freedom and security for granted all the times. You can not be Bindaas in most of the places.

I know this might sound strange but as I move southwards I feel more and more secure. And before any North - Indian takes offense I just want to say I am a North Indian and this is just my personal opinion. I do not know what the Statistics say but I feel a lot safer in the streets of Hyd than Delhi. I remember reading an article by Shobhaa De in some newspaper ages ago. I remember nothing but this one line "What is it about Delhi that makes you stick out your elbows in the public places and be on a watch" or something to a similar effect. I completely identify with it. I have had a touch- and -go affair with Delhi. My hometown is Chandigarh and every time we would go there for summer holidays from Dad's place of posting we would pass through Delhi. And then I have been there for short intervals also on other occasions. I have never liked Delhi. Traveling in Delhi's buses is a nightmare for any girl. It is like being on a perpetual alert. Body tensed, eyes darting, arsenal ready (Bags, heels and any heavy object), "Do Not mess with me" look perfected and tongue sharpened for the poor guys who just can not help demonstrating the effects of gravity and perhaps the only people who are members of the "We Want Potholes" committee. (Now you know who funds these potholes!!). I just can not help comparing this with the discomfort - less journey in Hyd buses most of the times. Though, I must add it has been some time since I last traveled in buses. The good thing here is that someone in a rare show of intelligence has reserved the anterior half of the Bus for the ladies and there is a clear division of areas. But it is the Madrasi buses which take the cake. (Sorry Chennai Folks). Someone again had the intelligent idea of reserving space for ladies but they reserved one side of the bus for them and the result is really really bad. (Talking about ten years back, no idea about Chennai buses now). Chennai perhaps has the worst eve-teasing gangs I have seen. Have you guys seen the crowds outside the girl’s colleges in Chennai? It is mad or at least used to be.

In my Opinion, Hyderabad, Pune, Mumbai and Bangalore are perhaps haven for single girls. In Hyderabad, I have done a lot of crazy stuff including driving alone for 3-4 Kms at 1:30 in the night. I would not have dared something like this in a city like say Delhi. I have friends who have done these kinds of things very frequently. My Bindaas friends are all for crazy things and they say it is all about your Attitude. But I take a more cautious approach even at a risk of seeming a coward but Eve-teasing and Crime against Women is a very serious thing for me. Aggressive Attitude can not always save you. I am not saying that we women are helpless but being careful aint a bad thing.

Looking at cities from this perspective, Hyderabad and Pune are totally rocking. You can wear what you want to, do what you want to, be free as a bird and just be totally relaxed. Nobody bothers you or even gives you a second glance. Again for those who stay on the other side of the seven seas and for the guys this is a very taken for granted thing but it is a precious commodity here and I value it. Unwanted attention can freak you out at times; like it does when I go to Chandigarh to meet my parents.

And coming back to what I wrote previously about enjoying the little freedoms when I first came to Hyderabad. Years have passed and things have come back to a full circle. After sometime I stopped enjoying my little freedoms and I wanted someone to say "Beta, eating Maggi everyday is not good for your health" (I love Maggi!!).I missed the playful scoldings, mom shouting after me as I leave without having my breakfast. The fuss, the concern, the restrictions, the small things.

"A child on a farm sees a plane fly by overhead and dreams of a faraway place. A traveler on the plane sees the farmhouse and dreams of home".


Life is strange, Life goes on...

12 Comments:

Blogger Silent Melody said...

Thanks SSM and Anantha..

IW, I AM SORRY..Guilty as Charged..Actually I never did club Mumbai/Pune with North explicitly but yeah will keep this in mind.

And LOL @Maggi Brigade.What you say is true to some extent. I just love the Taste and I CAN COOK...

7:09 AM  
Blogger buckwaasur said...

hey sm...glad u r continuing the series...i thought all cities were equally bad when it came to eve-teasing...had no idea that some were better than others

7:24 AM  
Blogger El enigma said...

hey SM,
nice ramblings......I haven't stayed south to Delhi when in India....and although I wud agree to the eve teasing part in Delhi...I wud say, that after a while u get a hang of 'how-to-handle-it'.......so as much so that altho I hated Delhi for this stuff, I was completely in love with that city, by the time i graduated....!! but, again my reasons for liking Delhi are the same as ur liking Hyd.....this was the town where I found the first taste of freedom :)
and hey.....just as a passing comment, I think Chd too totally rocks.....I've spent all my childhood+teens in Punjab...and I grew absolutely fond of itz perfect blend of quietness and vitality :)

enig!

2:11 PM  
Blogger DilettanteMoi said...

hey melodious.. that's a sweet series we have here.. I never thought Hyd as a great place with regards to safety etc.. as a teenager I was quite terrified walking in busy Hyd streets cos people [men] would intentionally brush past you.. and as a teenager that could really intimidate you..
but again, I come from a smaller city.. maybe Hyd is better than other bigger cities.. anyways, nice one you got there going..

Abt the Maggi Brigade [had to comment on it..] I LOVE MAGGI!! I HATE TO COOK!! Yet just over the weekend I made Malai Kofta! But what can really diminish the wonder of the popular 2-minute recipe.. and I think loving/eating Maggi is a matter of pride/surivival for many a folks. so Long Live Maggi and the Maggi Brigade!! :)

8:11 PM  
Blogger NS said...

S_M,
keep the rambles coming, its wonderful...

Madras buses are pathetic for women.. you have all the Romeos dancing on the footboard, who wouldnt let a woman even enter the bus peacefully without getting squeezed! Thankfully, both of us started driving pretty early and never had to endure that... have heard from my Delhi friends that Delhi is worse than Madras...

I guess it always happens, the city you spend your UG days becomes the most etched in memory... for me, it is Madras... I cant imagine myself getting to like any place more than Madras...

And even though I have lived in Bangalore for about 3 years now, enjoyed every kind of freedom there is, done all crazy things possible, i still havent grown to like the place... Maybe bcoz there weren't many "restrictions" as such in home too... My parents have brought us up with more or as much freedom that guys get to enjoy!

IW, LOL@ West India and "chumma"..;-)

and IW, knowledge of cooking has nothing whatsoever to do with liking Maggi... (though i agree abt the fashion statement)... I too belong to the Maggi brigade... though I can cook quite well and enjoy trying my hands at different cuisines, at least once a week I HAVE to eat maggi... i think it totally rocks:-)

ok, let me stop b4 this turns into a blog..;)

-Nithya

8:40 PM  
Blogger asuph said...

hey SM,

as usual, I'm one of the last. (why do people always put up blogs when I go home?)

anyways, nice ramble... almost impersonal -- third person feel to it, which is strange, considering that this is a memory blog.

I haven't been to north for a while now, but in general people from north find it the attitude of girls in pune/mumbai baffling... and it's not just local girls -- on that ground I give Pune full marks, although I'd reserve extra ones for Mumbai.

keep writing,
asuph.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Ardra said...

nope asuph, I came by later than u- always i come ambling by when everybody has let ...whatever has to be said would' ve already been said in much better ways- melody- same thing happenned with u'r hyd blog too...i was the last one there- but had to post something here- lovely travelers rambles- here- loved them...waiting for more-
and err...just wanted to mention- i luv "top Ramen" better than maggi- and yea I manage to cook- so that we dont starve- hey am not that pathetic ok...and the elder puttar loves to cook top ramen...

and was reminded of the safety- pin, umbrella ammunition eveready alert mode in kozhikode and kochi theatres and streets/buses..such folks are as common as cockroaches i guess-

looking out for more such posts
ardra

11:40 PM  
Blogger Silent Melody said...

Hey Buck, DMX, El_Enigma, Funnycide, Tocs, Nithya, Asuph, El_Enig, Ardra, IBL and of course IW Thank you all for dropping by.

Hey Enigma, glad to meet someone who has stayed in Chandigarh. I rarely meet people from chandigarh. Yeah, Chd. also Rocks but in a very different way. I hope to write about it sometime. Maybe you should beat me to it.

TOCS Yeah HYd. is the BEST. TOcs bhai puh-leaze write about it. I am sure that it will be much better than my ramblings.

Asuph I too give Pune full marks.

IW it YOU vs. the Maggi/Top Ramen Brigade (Funny, Ardra, Nithya and Me) now.

IBL I am the last!! (And have not seen BOYS)

12:56 AM  
Blogger Rajavel said...

I am waiting for Bangalore !

but hey .. I guess delhi is not all that bad !!!! MY Delhi !!!!!

1:24 AM  
Blogger bottled-imp said...

hey, looks like am the last one at the party. sm, that was a nice blog. when i was in pune, it was quite strange to be cycling back home at 2 in the morning (we had a strict boss) and to be overtaken by a kinetic honda with three young girls on it. now i think there are many such places where one could roam around in the night. but as you said, one should not throw caution to the winds. so coming back, when i lived vizag and hyd, i did not think it was strange for women to be moving around in the night on two wheelers.
was the first quote from steinbeck's 'travels with charley'?

2:55 AM  
Blogger bottled-imp said...

btw, i forgot to add that i am a noodles person too. i love them. i think top ramen is much better than maggie. i remember the first time maggie came to india (or vizag) and all of us in jr. college had a packet for free. and as they had anticipated, i was hooked. those days, there was a flavour i loved called capsicum.

3:01 AM  
Blogger Reshmi said...

spent a month in Hyd once - liked it. Spent a fortnight in Pune - loved it :-D Madras is always a 2-3 days trip - honestly not enuf to make a decision - but not a fan of it yet! :-P am yet to spend time in Dehli - someday soon.......

Of course for a b'lorean the weather is just not right anywhere else on this earth, nor is any other city as interesting or exciting or fun or ....... :-P
u get the drift i suppose - but let me stop by saying .....

Bangalore ROCKS!!

6:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home